Virtual Field Trip Scholarships
THANK YOU to all who applied. We have distributed all the field trip scholarships at this time. Click HERE to learn more about our regular Virtual Program opportunities.
NEW for Spring 2021
We are excited to announce our Virtual Field Trip Scholarship program for Kansas K-12 schools. Enjoy the best of the Flint Hills Discovery Center from the comfort of your classroom.
Who is eligible?This funding opportunity is open to any K-12 public, private, or tribal school or homeschool group located in Kansas. Priority is given to schools located in the 21 county Flint Hills ecological region during an initial application period. All other Kansas schools may apply during the open application period.
What is a "Virtual Field Trip"?Our new Virtual Field Trips are hands-on experiences in your classroom that are led by a Discovery Center staff educator connecting virtually. We have adapted some of our most popular on-site education programs for these unique experiences. Each program is 45-60 minutes long and includes a full lesson plan with optional pre and post virtual experience activities.
Schools receive a program resource kit delivered by staff or in the mail with hands-on supplies. A staff educator from the Discovery Center will lead your students through the program by connecting virtually using standard Zoom video conferencing software. Individual programs are limited to a maximum of 30 students and developed according to state standards and core concepts.
What programs are eligible?Pick from any of the following five (5) programs:
- Cowboys and Cattle-cars (grades 3-5) – In this interactive classroom game, students role play as cowboys driving hungry cattle to market, making important decisions along the way that determines the outcome.
- The Natural Economy (grades 6-8) – In this historical economy game, students establish their team enterprise in ranching and farming and explore opportunities the Flint Hills offered, all while deciding which lifestyle strategies to employ.
- Bringing Archaeology Home (grades 6-12) – Dive deep into the past of Kansas as students recreate an archaeological dig site and employ the tools and methods used by professional archaeologists today.
- Flint Hills Tools (all ages) – See and handle the real tools that have defined the human experience in the Flint Hills from ancient stone weapons and bison bone tools to historic cowboy gear and modern ranching equipment.
- Flint Hills Animals (all ages) – Explore the fur, teeth, and tracks from the eight most prominent mammals of the Flint Hills and then meet one of our ambassador snakes and our official state reptile, the ornate box turtle.
What does the scholarship cover?Each scholarship covers the virtual program fee, shipping and delivery of resource kits, and consumable supply costs for one of five eligible virtual programs. Individual schools may apply for scholarship funds to cover up to six (6) total programs in spring 2021. Schools are responsible for covering any technology costs on their end to complete the virtual connection.
How to apply?Eligible school groups located in any of the following counties may apply starting February 1: Washington, Marshall, Clay, Riley, Pottawatomie, Jackson, Dickinson, Geary, Wabaunsee, Shawnee, Morris, Marion, Chase, Lyon, Harvey, Butler, Greenwood, Woodson, Elk, Cowley, Chautauqua.
Eligible schools located in all other Kansas counties may apply starting February 15. Apply today!