- You Are Here:
- Children's Programs
- Summer 2023 Discovery Camp (Grades 1-3, 4-6)
Summer 2023 Discovery Camp (Grades 1-3, 4-6)
Experience Manhattan, the Flint Hills, and the world like never before! The Flint Hills Discovery Center continues its program into the summer to provide a unique experience for kids year-round. We offer full-day, week-long sessions for students entering Grades 1-3 and special half-day, week-long sessions for students entering Grades 4-6 in fall 2023. Youth entering the younger camp must have completed Kindergarten.
Camp Schedule & Registration
Enrollment is taken on a first-come, first-served basis. All participants must pre-register for each session. Registration begins on Monday, March 27. Register online, by phone at 785-587-2726, or in-person at the Flint Hills Discovery Center. Students who are enrolled will receive confirmation by email.
Children may be dropped off as early as 7:30 a.m. and must be picked up by 5:30 p.m. for full day camps. Half day camp pick up is no later than 12:30 p.m. Registration includes snacks, supplies for activities, and access to exhibits.
Lunch is NOT provided; full-day registrants must bring their own sack lunch.
Camp Eligibility and Expectations
The Education Team at the Flint Hills Discovery Center works hard to create a safe and inclusive environment for learning. We also expect that all camp participants and parents do their part to create that same environment. The following expectations apply to all campers:
- Respect all participants, staff, exhibits, and property
- Participate in all activities
- Work as a team when asked
- Play safely and practice self-control
- Follow all rules and verbal staff instructions
- Use appropriate language
- Remain in sight of staff at all times
If unacceptable behavior continues beyond staff interventions, staff will contact the camp participant’s parents or legal guardians. Please note that refunds will not be given if campers are sent home due to inappropriate behavior.
Discovery Begins Here
- Complete emergency release and permission forms and return them to the FHDC Education Department on or before your first program of the season.
- All parents should read the Summer Discovery Camp Parent Handbook prior to dropping their child off at camp. This includes specific details regarding policies and protocols related to COVID-19. Parents failing to follow the rules and regulations outlined in this handbook may result in a child’s removal from camp.
- Review the refund policy. Registrants will receive a full refund if the program is canceled or may be transferred to another class. A full refund is granted if a request to withdraw is received one week (seven days) prior to the start date. A partial refund is granted if requested between one week and at least 48 hours prior to start date. There will be no refund if request is less than 48 hours in advance or if the participant fails to show.
Grades 1-3 Sessions
|May 22-26||S.T.E.A.M.||Jump into summer where fun and learning collide! Each day we will explore an area of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) in the Flint Hills. Join us as we dissect wildflowers, engineer train tracks, try different art mediums, and so much more!|
|May 30-June 2
(4 days due to Memorial Day)
|Creature Feature||Time for some amazing creatures! This week, we will explore animal friends that live in Flint Hills including hairy bison, scaly snakes, and feathery birds. You'll even get to see some live reptiles up close!|
(4 days due to Juneteenth)
|H2Oasis||Water, water everywhere! Let's figure out how water is part of science, history, and culture. We'll learn about the Kansas River, design and test boats, and make a splash with some water balloons.|
|June 26-30||Prairie Keepers||Time to explore the prairie and learn from the land. This week, we will uncover secrets about wildflowers, flint rocks, the American bison, and so much more. Get ready for a rugged adventure!|
|July 17-21||Blast Off!||Get ready to blast off as we learn what it takes to be an astronaut living and working in space. Experiment with screaming rockets, learn about the planets and stars, talk to a real pilot, and so much more!|
|July 31- August 4||'Ology Camp||Back by popular demand! Discover the wonderful world of “ologies”! Explore zoology (animals), entomology (insects), geology (earth) and “grossology” (things that make you go eww). Each day we will explore a new ology with real specimens, models, even live animals!|
Grades 1-3 Pricing
|Weekly||FHDC Member Fee||Non-Member Fee|
|Full-Day, (7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.) 5-day camps||$145||$165|
|Full-Day, (7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.) 4-day camps||$116||$132|
Grades 4-6 Sessions
|June 12-16||Prairie Keepers||
One of our most popular camps where we learn about all things tallgrass prairie. Join us as we take a field trip each day to uncover secrets about prairie weather, great grazers, and the tall grasses. Get ready for a rugged adventure!
|July 10-14||Blast Off!||
3, 2, 1 - blast off! Mission Aerospace is here for the summer, join us as we learn about the science and history of aviation! We will learn from the experts who design and test airplanes and drones, experiment with flight, and much more!
|July 24-28||Aerospace Camp||Join us for a second week of exploring Mission Aerospace! We will experiment with thrust, build our own rockets, and learn more from the experts who make things fly!|
Grades 4-6 Pricing
|Weekly||FHDC Member Fee||Non-Member Fee|
|Half-Day (7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)||$75||$85|