Beauty of the Flint Hills
Beauty of the Flint Hills - Lesson
Literary Analysis of Song: “Clean Curve of Hill Against Sky” - Grades 7-12
CREATED FOR FLINT HILLS MAP & EDUCATION PROGRAM
Students consider importance of the beauty of the Flint Hills - especially the scenic, clean horizons.
As background to song & video, students locate the Flint Hills elevated ridge-top geography on a map, identify the eco-services of the prairie, and determine the main threats to the clean horizons - including development and woody invasion from suppression of fire in developed areas.
Main Activity: Students listen and respond to the music video of this place-based song celebrating the few remaining unspoiled horizons of the Flint Hills. Through Guided Questions (written or oral), students apply literary terms to song lyrics to determine song structure, identify poetic devices and key ideas, examine word choice, determine cause & effect, and interpret author’s intent. Assessment includes Literary Terms Vocabulary Quiz.
Extended Learning explores related Business, Science & Social Studies projects, as well as analysis of songs on related themes.
Language Arts, Music, Science, Art, Business, Social Studies, & Psychology
- Lesson Plan Guide - Literary Analysis of Song: “Clean Curve of Hill Against Sky”
- Flint Hills Remaining Tallgrass Prairie - Pdf of map - to project
- Eco-Services Slide (last slide in 9-slide Eco-Services of Tallgrass Prairie)
- Clean Curve of Hill Against Sky - Music Video with Flint Hills scenes
- (sound-only) CD recording of Clean Curve of Hill Against Sky
- Lyrics handout sheet - Clean Curve of Hills Against Sky
- Guided Questions - Clean Curve
- Guided Questions - Clean Curve - KEY
- Literary Terms Quiz - Clean Curve
- Literary Terms Quiz - Clean Curve - KEY
Extended Learning - Lyrics: