Flint Hills Discovery Center
A Unique Venue in Downtown Manhattan, Kansas
Opened in 2012, the Flint Hills Discovery Center is a one-of-a-kind event venue featuring iconic architecture that celebrates the natural elements of the Flint Hills with a modern twist. This building is a tribute to the exquisite beauty of the region featuring native stone, wildflowers and prairie-inspired artwork throughout. The facility is a LEED certified green building.
A flexible venue space with indoor and outdoor options.
Imagine celebrating your special moments under the dome of the lobby with it's interactive multimedia. Or your guests exploring the exhibits with exclusive, after-hours access. Perhaps, cocktails on the outdoor rooftop terrace with vistas of the Flint Hills and Manhattan community is the perfect backdrop to your event. From business meetings to weddings, and everything in between, our venue is sure to have the perfect space for your event.
Venue AmenitiesWe want to ensure you, your guests, and your vendors enjoy a fantastic event experience. Rental of the Flint Hills Discovery Center includes several amenities including:
- On-site event staff to assist you with facility needs during your event
- Access to venue and exhibit (if applicable) spaces listed in the pricing chart below
- Public restrooms on the first and second floors
- Guest elevator
- Catering kitchen with microwave and refrigerator (no stove)
- No catering fee
- Free parking
- Free Wi-Fi
- AV accommodations available in some spaces
- Trash and recycling services provided
- Usage of the facility's tables and chairs with basic set up
Venue Spaces and PricingClick through the tabbed information below to learn more about the different venue spaces.
- Availability: Rental is a seven hour time slot between 5:00 PM and midnight with earlier access to some areas
- Capacity: 240 seated, 500 standing
- Fee*: $2,500 Saturday, $2,000 Sunday through Friday
Rental includes all exhibit spaces, immersive experience theater, children’s play area, entry atrium, and second floor balcony.
- Availability: Rental is any three hour time slot between 5:00 PM and midnight and may be extended at an hourly rate.
- Capacity: 200 seated, 500 standing
- Fee*: $1,200 three hour rental, $200 per additional hours
*Alcohol fee ($100) and/or refundable damage deposit (up to $300) may also apply.
There are two private rooms, the Blue Earth Room and Flint Hills Room, available to rent. Both rooms are equipped with free Wi-Fi and AV accommodations. These rooms are ideal for meetings, presentations, rehearsal dinners, graduation parties, and bridal or baby showers. The classroom may also be rented for educational rentals or birthday parties.
- Availability: 8:00 AM to midnight
- Capacity: 48 seated, 55 standing
- Fee*: $50 per hour, $25 per hour after hours fee, $300 for full day
Planted in prairie grasses and flowers with views of Manhattan, the terrace is ideal for an outdoor event such as a wedding ceremony, business meeting gathering, or dance floor under the stars. The terrace is uncovered.
- Availability: 4:00 PM to midnight
- Capacity: 150 seated, 200 standing
- Fee*: $225 per hour
Additional Information Questions? Want to schedule a tour? Contact Event Supervisor, Jonathan Mertz, at 785-587-2726 ext. 5607 or by email. You can also visit our Rent the Discovery Center page for more information, including details on catering and how to submit a rental inquiry.
Check out other events.
Need some inspiration about what kinds of events you can host? Visit our Event Types & Ideas page.