School Field Trips
Igniting Curiosity About the Flint Hills
Plan your next field trip to the Flint Hills Discovery Center where science and history collide! Tour our interactive and dynamic exhibits to learn more about the rich biodiversity and heritage of the Flint Hills. Be sure to also book an education program where our staff will lead your students on an exploration of local science, history, and culture from our on-site classroom.
Field Trip Admission Rates*
|Field Trip Type||Student Rate||Chaperone Rate|
|Without Educational Program||$3 per student||$3 per adult**|
| With Educational Program||$6 per student||$3 per adult**|
*sales tax will be added to admission rates at check out
*If you’re a tax-exempt group booking a field trip or group visit, please let us know when scheduling. We will request a copy of your tax-exempt certificate issued by the Kansas Department of Revenue prior to your payment.
**The Chaperone Admission Rate is based on a 1:5 adult to youth ratio. Any adults over this 1:5 ratio must pay General Admission Rates/Group Admission Rates depending on the group size. Chaperones do not pay the Education Program Fee.
Payment & Visit Overview
All fees are due at the ticket counter before entry into the exhibitions and before delivery of an education program. We accept all major forms of payment including cash, check, and credit card. We do not accept pre-payment. Bus drivers receive free admission.
A typical visit takes 90 minutes, add 60 minutes if your visit includes an Education Program. Two outdoor spaces with seating are available for group lunches.
What Admission Includes
Without Education Program ($3 Per Student):
- 15 minute 4-D film Tallgrass Prairie: Tides of Time
- Access to our permanent exhibit and temporary exhibit galleries
- Grade appropriate scavenger hunts for the permanent gallery
- Access to our outdoor interpretive terrace
- Gift shop with Flint Hills souvenirs
- Any of nine curriculum based formal school programs
- A staff educator to lead each 45-60 minute program
- Full lesson plans including pre and post visit activities for select programs
We use state curriculum standards and core concepts in choosing program content and design to ensure children not only experience a fun, hands-on approach to learning, but teachers find the classes to be enriching and in concert with classroom content. Learn more.
Reserve Your Trip
- Number of youth in your group
- Grade or age level
- Date you would like to visit
- Time preference
- Education program preference