Greater Prairie-Chicken Booming Tours
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to visit a Greater Prairie-Chicken booming ground at the height of the booming season every spring. You will witness the majestic ballet of the Greater Prairie-Chicken as they dance for dominance. FHDC staff will accompany you on your trip and provide all the insight you need.
Price includes group transportation to the booming ground from the Discovery Center and light breakfast. Limited to 7 participants per trip. Open to ages 18+. Ages 10-17 may be accompanied by an adult.
IMPORTANT: All guests must be capable and comfortable hiking up to half a mile over uneven prairie terrain in the dark with headlamps (headlamps provided)
Members: $45 | Non-Members: $50
Need a place to stay? The Fairfield Inn Manhattan, located next to the Discovery Center, is offering special hotel rates for program participants. Ask for the "Discovery Center Rate"
Click below for program dates and important program notes!
Saturday, March 17 -- SOLD OUT
Wednesday, March 21
Saturday, March 24 -- 1 Spot Left
Wednesday, March 28 -- SOLD OUT
Saturday, March 31 -- SOLD OUT
Saturday, April 7 -- SOLD OUT
Saturday, April 14 -- SOLD OUT
Rain Dates below apply for trips cancelled due to weather:
Wednesday, April 4
Saturday, April 21
Saturday, April 28
Important Program Notes:
- IMPORTANT: All guests must be capable and comfortable hiking up to half a mile over uneven prairie terrain in the dark with headlamps (headlamps provided)
- Guests will spend approximately 2.5 hours inside the blind
- Dress warmly for the weather, the blind is not heated
- Photography is allowed but flash is not permitted
- Please minimize any noise made by your equipment
- Program may be canceled the day before the viewing due to adverse weather
- Make up dates for inclement weather are 4/21/18 & 4/28/18
Choosing a date:
- Early dates will have colder weather but are less likely to be cancelled due to thunderstorms.
- Later dates will have milder weather but are more likely to be cancelled due to thunderstorms.
Where to stay:
- Special rates available at the Fairfield Inn Manhattan, located next to the Discovery Center. Ask for the "Discovery Center Rate"
4:30am: Meet at Flint Hills Discovery Center (FHDC)
4:30-5:00am: Light breakfast and orientation
5:15-5:45am: Drive to booming location parking area
5:45-6:15am: Hike to blinds
6:15-8:30am: Time in blind at booming ground
8:30-9:00am: Depart from booming ground
9:00-9:30am: Return drive to FHDC